Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So What is Next

I feel like I have been lead to the spot where I'm am today. I have adopter 3 children with FASD( Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder) I find the teaching methods I used with my older children do not work with these children. With the help of a wonderful therapist and others such as people working with mental health in children I'm learning. It is taking a while to let all this sink in and see the behaviors that each of the children need help with. It is hard to see what is missing when the children are very young because very young children are not expected to understand time , money, socal cutes ect... One of the things we have to do is to go over things again and again trying to wear a pattern in the brain.(Children with FASD brains do not fire in lines like ours do. They fire randomly. ) So things have to be done in the same order and at the same time every time to wear a pattern in the brain.
When Jasmine finished kindergarten she didn't have the kindergarten material learned. So we took it home and over the summer we worked on learn the material. We repeated it and learned it. By the time school started again she had the kindergarten material down. So she did very well until January of the first grade. (When they started learning new material.) After the first grade was finished we took the first grade material home and we went over it and over it until by the time school started again she had the first grade material down. So she started out the second grade in great shape however now that we are past January she is starting to fall behind. Also more of the social ques are being missed so that is becoming an issue as well. I know we will have to do some role playing to get her to understand what is going on with her friends and how to stay safe and out of trouble. What a learning curve for me . I hope I can figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment